Re: Bug? Query plans / EXPLAIN using gigabytes of memory

From: Toby Corkindale <toby(dot)corkindale(at)strategicdata(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug? Query plans / EXPLAIN using gigabytes of memory
Date: 2012-04-26 08:02:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On 26/04/12 13:11, Tom Lane wrote:
> Toby Corkindale<toby(dot)corkindale(at)strategicdata(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on this?
>
>> I'm still suspicious that this is a bug.
>
> Well, if you were to provide a reproducible test case, somebody might be
> motivated to look into it. There could be a memory leak in the planner
> somewhere, but without a test case it's not very practical to go look
> for it.

Hi,
I've created a bit of a test case now.
There's a Perl script here:
http://dryft.net/postgres/

Running it will create a test database that's populated with quite a lot
of schemas and partitioned tables, and a few views.

Running EXPLAIN on the query on that database at the end added ~700MB to
the server-side postgres process.

It's not the same as 3.4GB I've seen on our bigger database warehouse,
but maybe it's enough to help?

Let me know if I can help elaborate further,

Toby