Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Date: 2011-12-13 23:22:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/12/2011 10:33 PM, Jayadevan M wrote:
> But I miss all those user-friendly trouble-shooting utilities (like
> Automatic Workload Repository,Active Session History etc etc) in
> PostgreSQL. Yes - some of them are there, but one has to
> search,download, configure etc. I hope many of these features will
> become part of the 'core' soon.

That's unlikely, simply because the definition of "core" in PostgreSQL
doesn't quite include the full experience of user tools like this. For
example, you might see the core collect the data needed for something
that acts like a AWR baseline. But you're unlikely to ever get the sort
of easy baseline management+graph management tools that Oracle's
Enterprise Manager layers on top of them in core. There's no place to
put a GUI/web tool like that there, and I wouldn't expect that to ever
change. You might see it provided as a feature to the pgAdmin tool
though, or as a separate web application.

The fact that there are multiple pieces of software involved doesn't
have to make this hard. Ultimately the problem you're identifying is a
packaging one. Something doesn't have to be in the PostgreSQL core to
be packaged nicely so that you can easily install and use it. It's
probably easy for you to get pgAdmin installed and working for example,
and that's not a part of core. There's just been a lot more work put
into packaging it than most tools have gotten so far.