Re: pgsql: Make pg_dumpall build with the right object files under MSVC.

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Make pg_dumpall build with the right object files under MSVC.
Date: 2011-11-28 17:40:24
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 11/28/2011 11:33 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Make pg_dumpall build with the right object files under MSVC.
>>
>> This fixes a longstanding but up to now benign bug in the way pg_dumpall
>> was built. The bug was exposed by recent code adjustments. The Makefile
>> does not use $(OBJS) to build pg_dumpall, so this fix removes their source
>> files from the pg_dumpall object and adds in the one source file it
>> consequently needs.
> In summary, for those watching, pg_dump and pg_restore used to share
> OBJS, and with my new patch, dumpmem.c is now shared by those and
> pg_dumpall. Seems the MSVC code previously could not handle that case,
> which is fixed by this patch.

Er, no. Only dumputils.c is shared with pg_dumpall. dumpmem.c is not
(see the Makefile).

The problem that arose is that pg_dumpall has its own (non-static)
versions of pg_malloc and pg_strdup, so we got duplicate symbol errors
from the newly declared dumpmem.c functions when we erroneously tried
linking it in on MSVC.

cheers

andrew