Re: testing ProcArrayLock patches

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: testing ProcArrayLock patches
Date: 2011-11-18 23:18:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> I think opannotate -a -s produces output with instructions/code
> intermingled.

Thanks. I'll check out perf later (thanks for the tips!), but for
now, here's the function which was at the top of my oprofile
results, annotated with those options. I'm afraid it's a bit
intimidating to me -- the last time I did much with X86 assembly
language was in the mid-80s, on an 80286. :-/ Hopefully, since
this is at the top of the oprofile results when running with
prepared statements, it will be of use to somebody.

The instructions which are shown as having that 1% still seem odd to
me, but as you say, they were probably actually waiting for some
previous operation to finish:

43329 0.3211 : 70b56a: test %rbp,%rbp

99903 0.7404 : 70b58a: mov %rax,0x18(%rsp)

If anyone wants any other detail from what I captured, let me know.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
opannotate-hash_search_with_hash_value.txt text/plain 21.2 KB