Re: Thinking about

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thinking about
Date: 2011-07-26 16:49:44
Lists: pgsql-www

On 07/26/2011 06:16 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I would like to see us encourage people whose blogs are syndicated to
> planet PostgreSQL and to .org to write fewer, though more substantial
> blog posts.
>
> Unfortunately, ISTM that by not having a minimum length for blogposts,
> we effectively incentivise writing lots of shallow articles, with no
> analysis, and no original content.
>
> It's hard to write a blog post that stays on .org for more than a day
> or two now. This discourages people from writing really deep,
> subtantial blogposts, because they know that traffic to their blog
> will quickly fall off as soon as it slides off .org to make room for
> other blog posts, which in some cases would be more appropriate as
> tweets.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks so? What measures could we take to
> improve the situation?

We have actually had this argument before because some folks were using
their blog to status update. IMO, the more restriction you place on
people who are blogging, the less they are going to start caring about
whether or not their blog shows up on planet. The information up there
now is relative, and appropriate. The reality is we have a lot of
community members and a lot of them blog.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579