Re: SSI error messages

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI error messages
Date: 2011-07-15 22:40:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message:
>>
>>> I think that Peter's real concern is whether these are worth
>>> translating, and I share that doubt. Perhaps we should invent
>>> an errdetail_internal, parallel to errmsg_internal, that works
>>> like errdetail but doesn't treat the message as a candidate for
>>> translation?
>>
>> Yeah. The other point is that translated versions of those
>> phrases are likely to introduce randomly diverging terms, which
>> is not going to help with debugging. As long as the technology
>> is new enough that a user is going to need help from -hackers (or
>> at least someone who read and grokked README.SSI) to debug a
>> problem, there's no benefit to translating those errdetails.
>
> OK, since that seems to be the consensus, I put a patch together.
> Testing it now. Will post once I've confirmed it doesn't break
> anything.

OK, after getting distracted by test failures caused by an unrelated
commit, I've confirmed that this passes my usual tests. I don't
know anything about the tools used for extracting the text for the
translators, so if that needs any corresponding adjustment, someone
will need to point me in the right direction or cover that part
separately.

The leading whitespace changes in predicate.c are from pgindent.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
errdetail-internal-1.patch text/plain 8.8 KB