Re: Re: patch review : Add ability to constrain backend temporary file space

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: patch review : Add ability to constrain backend temporary file space
Date: 2011-07-15 10:15:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15/07/11 14:57, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Maybe we could add more info regarding current usage and requested
> amount in addition to the temp file limit value. I mean something
> like:
>
> ERROR: aborting due to exceeding temp file limit. Current usage 9000kB, requested size 1024kB, thus it will exceed temp file limit 10000kB.

I modeled the original message on what happens when statement timeout is
exceeded, which doesn't state its limit in the error message at all -
actually I did wonder if there is was informal standard for *not*
stating the value of the limit that is being exceeded! However, I agree
with you and think it makes sense to include it here. I wonder if the
additional detail you are suggesting above might be better added to a
HINT - what do you think? If it is a better idea to just add it in the
message as above I can certainly do that.

Cheers

Mark