Re: Re: patch review : Add ability to constrain backend temporary file space

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: patch review : Add ability to constrain backend temporary file space
Date: 2011-07-15 02:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I have looked into the v6 patches. One thing I would like to suggest
>> is, enhancing the error message when temp_file_limit will be exceeded.
>>
>> ERROR: aborting due to exceeding temp file limit
>>
>> Is it possible to add the current temp file limit to the message? For
>> example,
>>
>> ERROR: aborting due to exceeding temp file limit 10000kB
>>
>> I know the current setting of temp_file_limit can be viewd in other
>> ways, but I think this will make admin's or application developer's
>> life a little bit easier.
>
> Hi Tatsuo,
>
> Yeah, good suggestion - I agree that it would be useful to supply
> extra detail, I'll amend and resubmit a new patch (along with whatever
> review modifications we come up with in the meantime)!
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Maybe we could add more info regarding current usage and requested
amount in addition to the temp file limit value. I mean something
like:

ERROR: aborting due to exceeding temp file limit. Current usage 9000kB, requested size 1024kB, thus it will exceed temp file limit 10000kB.

What do you think?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan