Re: Planet posting policy

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Planet posting policy
Date: 2011-07-14 15:52:04
Lists: pgsql-www

On 07/14/2011 12:48 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane<greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> wrote:

>>> I think we need to change the posting policy of planet. It seems
>>> entirely too restrictive. Now I don't think we should go reddit with it
>>> but we are all people here and we are all part of this community. Should
>>> the majority of posts to planet be postgresql related? Of course but
>>> seriously, can we have a little fun too? Can we not remember that as
>>> people in this community that actually makes the post relevant to
>>> postgresql?
>>>
>>> In short can we stop getting our boxers in a bunch about everything and
>>> remember to have some damn fun? For atheists sake, slow down on the
>>> caffeine and go to your medical dispensary for some inhaled herbal pain
>>> killer.
>>
>> I'm guessing this is directed at me, so can you show me/us some example
>> posts that are against the current policy but you feel should be
>> allowed? For the record, I think "posts to planet postgresql must
>> be postgresql related" is a pretty darn good rule, and one I'm loath
>> to change. What exact change are you proposing anyway? I'm not quite able
>> to parse the last sentence in your first paragraph.
>
> I think I can - and it would be an extremely bad policy imho. It would
> allow anyone "in the community" to post anything they wanted because
> they were "in the community".
>
> On the other hand, I'm sure our marketing people would love that...

Hahhaha that isn't quite what I meant but fair point. I was more leaning
toward how planet.debian.org works where you will read about all kinds
of technology related stuff. For example this post:

http://journal.dedasys.com/2011/07/14/the-long-tail-of-the-clued-in

Is not postgresql related but it would (IMO) still be valuable on planet.

Another example would be this blog post, which planet wouldn't aggregate:

http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/alex_shulgin/2011/03/when_too_smart_becomes_stupid_fixing_a_ror_pgsql_driver_issue/

The argument we got was that it was rails related, not postgresql
releated. Seriously?

And, Marketing people are not in the community. I don't see any
marketing people contributing to PostgreSQL.

JD

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579