Re: %ENV warnings during builds

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: %ENV warnings during builds
Date: 2011-07-03 21:14:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> I think you've stumbled on just about all the bits of the MSVC build
> system we haven't perlized. Maybe we should complete that task, and turn
> clean.bat, pgbison.bat and pgflex.bat into pure one-line wrappers. (It was
> done for builddoc just a few weeks ago).
> Yeah, give nthat you can't get anything useful done without perl
> anyway, I don't see any argument for keeping them at this point.

I've already stumbled into this while preparing the VS2010 support and
came to the same conclusion.
In my VS2010 support patch I've already created perl replacements for
those two and removed the batch files completely.
Certainly those two could also stay around as mere wrappers but in my
opinion they only mess up the directory without adding any relevant benefit.

Typing "perl pgbison.pl" has no significant disadvantage over typing
pgbison[.bat].
In my opinion it even makes clearer what really happens and leaves the
beginner one step to recognize that the .bat files are mere wrappers.
In addition the default ActiveState installations register themselves in
a way that even let you type pgbison.pl

Anyway - I don't have much passion for one way or the other and the
wrappers should be easy to create by copy-pasting from one oft the
wrappers already lying around.

Regards,

Brar