Re: Full GUID support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Full GUID support
Date: 2011-07-03 21:02:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> Even If that weren't the case, integrating the type wouldn't fix the
> problem anyway, unless you're suggesting we implement our own UUID
> generator (which isn't nearly as straightforward as it might seem, as
> I understand it)..

Yeah. If there were One True Way to create a UUID, I would probably
agree that we should push that functionality into core. But there are
a lot of ways (and the reason for that is that they all suck in one
fashion or another :-(). Between that and the lack of portability of
many of the better ways, this is something I'm happy to keep at arm's
length.

Michael: this is something that was discussed before, when we agreed
to put the uuid type but not the generator functions in core. See
the archives. Nothing about the situation has changed since then.