Re: Small correction in http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/wal-reliability.html

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small correction in http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/wal-reliability.html
Date: 2011-06-18 02:54:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 06/17/2011 07:55 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> It reads :
> 'On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using atacontrol, and SCSI drives using sdparm.'
> but it should be:
> 'On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using atacontrol, and SCSI drives using camcontrol.'

FreeBSD's Common Access Method (CAM) looks to be the preferred driver
layer to interrogate. sdparm is available on Linux and FreeBSD, but
it's a second-class citizen talking to CAM on the latter. To quote from
one of the docs on it, FreeBSD sdparm "SCSI commands are routed through
the CAM pass-through interface". Talking directly to it with camcontrol
does seem to be the preferred route for some things.

However, the UI to sdparm is a bit easier to use when it is available.
Actually changing the write cache state with camcontrol requires black
magic--you have to construct the right SCSI packet by hand. I can't
find any example.

Bruce just touched this section of the docs recently, so this part
actually reads just:

SCSI drives use <command>sdparm</command>.

Now. Perhaps the following makes sense:

SCSI drives can be queried using <command> camcontrol
identify</command>, and the write cache both queried and changed using
<command>sdparm</command> when available.