Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes
Date: 2011-06-17 19:36:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 06/17/2011 02:15 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So, new policy: no names in the release notes, and we update the
> contributor list with each release?

I still have a TODO here to prototype something on the wiki to help
track sponsored features better. We'd have to do that better in a big
way if the release notes are moving in this direction. It's already way
too difficult to get people to sponsor features, both for the sponsor
and for the people developing it, and this will push some distance
toward making it harder.

Right now developers can point to the release notes and say "there's a
feature like that I helped develop" when trying to convince someone to
fund a similar new feature. If the new state of things is that they are
just one name on a long contributor list, and you have to hit the
individual git commits to confirm what people actually did, it will be a
significant step backwards in that situation. The companies who fund
features don't have time for that sort of thing.