Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

From: Toby Corkindale <toby(dot)corkindale(at)strategicdata(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSDs with Postgresql?
Date: 2011-04-20 06:15:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 14/04/11 23:25, Vick Khera wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Benjamin Smith
> <lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com <mailto:lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> I was wondering if anybody here could comment on the benefits of SSD
> in similar, high-demand rich schema situations?
>

> For the last several months, I've been using Texas Memory Systems RamSAN
> 620 drives on my main DB servers. Having near zero seek times has been
> a tremendous boon to our performance, and will have pretty much paid for
> themselves within the next couple of months. Ie, the "throw hardware at
> it" solution worked really well :)

hey, I wonder - could you, or someone else with some SSD drives running
their DBs in production - check the SMART attributes for their drives?

In particular, the Media_Wearout_Indicator - this starts at 100 and goes
down towards 1 as the erase cycles add up..

So you can calculate the total estimated lifetime by looking at how much
has been used up over how long you've been using the drive in production.

I have a very cheap 64GB consumer SSD used in a personal server (so not
in serious production use, but it does see some traffic), and I note
that after a year it's still on 100%!

Toby