Re: BUG #5983: creating accounts

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5983: creating accounts
Date: 2011-04-17 00:43:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 04/15/11 12:33 PM, Yanish wrote:

> Bug reference: 5983
> Logged by: Yanish
> Email address: yanish_3008(at)hotmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0
> Operating system: Windows Seven 64-bit
> Details:
>
> hello i have been using postgreSQL for my university studies and now i have
> a problem on windows seven as it is creating a new account called Postgres
> in my user account and it is shown on my welcome screen.why is it such??i
> dont want a new account to be able to use postgres..

the 'bug' here is that the 'postgres' service account its creating
became a member of 'Users', which it wasn't on XP.

the postgresql server does in fact need its own account to run the
database service, much like many other services do, its just the LSP
(local security policy) is configured to hide these accounts from the
'welcome' login screen.

go to control panel -> Administration Tools -> Computer Management.

In Computer Manaagement, find Local Users and Groups -> Users, and find
the 'postgres' user, right click, Properties, and select hte 'member of'
tab. select Users and click Remove to remove Users from this list (it
should be empty, this account is to be used for NOTHING other than the
postgres database service). click Ok, and close the dialogs. Now,
Postgres should no longer show up on the Welcome screen when you log off.