Re: .oO - Translation

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .oO - Translation
Date: 2011-02-27 20:45:20
Lists: pgsql-www

> Is it possible to prepare something like this?
> Of course not only for German - I bet our French folk would like it too.

I'm not sure to understand exactly what your proposition is about, but i
guess i can give some feedback on how postgresql.fr works...

At first, the postgresql.fr domain was "owned" by a french company. So
the French community pioneers took the postgresqlfr.org domain instead.

With that domain, step by step we built the main web site, a wiki, a
forum, a planet, a forum, a blog, a (now-dead) SVN and of course the
french documentation... And finally, when all the content was there, we
managed to get access to the postgresql.fr domain.

And when i see the work that was done on this platform, i don't feel the
need to translate the .org website. I think our time is better spent in
translating the doc and maintaining a localized website.

All in all, i believe we have pretty nice google rankings, although i'm
sure it could be improved... Especially i think that the various
translation of the doc should be "cross-linked" :

For example it would neat if the VACUUM page

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-vacuum.html

could contain a link to the french version

http://docs.postgresql.fr/9.0/sql-vacuum.html

(and vice versa)

That would be a nice mutual SEO :) But that's another story...

In a nutshell, i think that if you have time for translation you should
start with the doc and host it on a dedicated localized website. It
might be more useful and interesting than translating the .org content

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org