Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2010-12-28 17:17:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/28/2010 11:59 AM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> 2010/12/28 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us <mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>>
>

> That has at least as many failure modes as the other representation.
>

> I don't follow, what do you mean with "failure modes"? The oid in the
> filename? I suggested to use a sequence instead but you didn't comment
> on that. Are there any other failure modes which could cause a diff -r
> between two different databases to break?
>
> (This might be a bad idea for some other reason, but I noticed a few
> other users requesting the same feature when I googled "pg_dump split".)

A better approach to the problem might be to have a tool which did a
comparison of structures rather than a textual comparison of dumps. For
extra credit, such a tool might even try to produce a sync script for
you ...

Of course, that task might involve more effort than you want to devote
to it.

cheers

andrew