Re: Hanging with pg_restore and large objects

From: "Reuven M(dot) Lerner" <reuven(at)lerner(dot)co(dot)il>
To: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, eli-d(at)nova(dot)co(dot)il
Subject: Re: Hanging with pg_restore and large objects
Date: 2010-12-07 20:56:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, everyone. Alban wrote:
> Which version of pg_dump did you use? The one that came with the 9.0 install or the one from the old 8.3 one? It should have been the first of these two.
The dump was done by someone using the old, existing system, which runs
under 8.3. She complained that she was having problems (i.e., the
36-hour restore), and after we looked at it, we decided to take the file
and try to import it into our 9.0 database with pg_restore 9.0, just to
see what was going on.

It's quite possible that the pg_dump from 9.0 would have done a better
or more intelligent job, but we can't switch it into widespread use
right now. (We have 8.3 installed in a closed-box product that's
physically distributed to customers.) We can mix and match 8.3 and 9.0
in the development lab, but not on a widespread scale.

Reuven

--
Reuven M. Lerner -- Web development, consulting, and training
Mobile: +972-54-496-8405 * US phone: 847-230-9795