Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag
Date: 2010-11-26 15:46:32
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 11/26/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian<bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
>>> You mean two spaces after a semicolon? Isn't that normal? This is the
>>> string:
>> Normal according to what? In any case translatable error strings are
>> not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
>> looks like to me.
> Well, wikipedia says perhaps two spaces:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
>
> Semicolons are followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter is
> the first letter of a proper noun. They have no spaces before them, but
> one space after (possibly two when using monospaced fonts).
>
> but answers.com says only one:
>
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_after_a_colon_and_semicolon
> After a semicolon, there is never more than one space.
>
> so I have changed it to once space, and also reworded it:
>
> warning: could not connect; might be caused by invalid authentication or
> misconfiguration.
>
> That wording seems to match other messages better, though I feel pg_ctl
> seems to have sloppy output formatting in general.

We're not typesetting a document here. I tend to think that we shouldn't
have multiple spaces anywhere, in which case we should also remove the
extra space following "warning:" above. AFAICT we don't use multiple
spaces anywhere in the backend messages, and we should be consistent
about it.

cheers

andrew