Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag
Date: 2010-11-26 15:04:22
Lists: pgsql-committers

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Why does this string contain doubled spaces?
>
> > You mean two spaces after a semicolon? Isn't that normal? This is the
> > string:
>
> Normal according to what? In any case translatable error strings are
> not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
> looks like to me.

Well, wikipedia says perhaps two spaces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon

Semicolons are followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter is
the first letter of a proper noun. They have no spaces before them, but
one space after (possibly two when using monospaced fonts).

but answers.com says only one:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_after_a_colon_and_semicolon
After a semicolon, there is never more than one space.

so I have changed it to once space, and also reworded it:

warning: could not connect; might be caused by invalid authentication or
misconfiguration.

That wording seems to match other messages better, though I feel pg_ctl
seems to have sloppy output formatting in general.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com