Re: BUG #5769: Problem with SPI_getvalue

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Helmar Spangenberg <hspangenberg(at)frey(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5769: Problem with SPI_getvalue
Date: 2010-11-25 15:11:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 25.11.2010 13:45, Helmar Spangenberg wrote:
> Bug reference: 5769
> Logged by: Helmar Spangenberg
> Email address: hspangenberg(at)frey(dot)de
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1
> Operating system: Linux
> Details:
>
> Referring to the manual, I can pfree the result returned by SPI_getvalue.
> However the backend crashes as soon as I use pfree.
>
> No example uses pfree. Could it be possible, there is a bug in the
> documentation?

The return value of SPI_getvalue is certainly palloc()'d, so pfree()ing
it should not crash. Perhaps you are trying to pfree() it after the
whole memory context has already been destroyed. Or perhaps SPI_getvalue
returned a NULL and you're trying to pfree() that. Can't say without
more details.

--
Heikki Linnakangas