Re: FK disappeared in 8.3.3

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Achilleas Mantzios" <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FK disappeared in 8.3.3
Date: 2010-11-22 16:45:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> (imagine having to upgrade 61 installations for which you dont
> have ssh/scp ;) sounds fun right? )

I don't have to imagine -- been there, done that. (Not with ships
but large geographical distances and needing to trudge through
secure facilities with big steel doors every so many feet.) It can
be time-consuming and tedious. But then, so can recovering a
corrupted database.

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider arranging to have a CD-ROM
mailed to someone on each ship at its next port, with a script which
would automatically perform the update. (Heavily tested in advance,
of course.) I strongly recommend that you read through the release
notes of 8.3.4 to 8.3.12 and consider whether any of the fixes
incorporated in those releases, or the aggregate of all of them,
might be worth the effort involved in testing such a script and
burning such a CD-ROM.

Of course, none of that helps with your current issue; I would just
hate to see you pop up here in a few months with bigger problems
than this if it can be avoided.

-Kevin