Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>,<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan
Date: 2010-11-10 12:38:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:

> you're joining on more than one key. That always hurts performance.

That's very clearly *not* the problem, as there is a plan which runs
in acceptable time but the optimizer is not choosing without being
coerced.

(1) Virtually every query we run joins on multi-column keys, yet we
have good performance except for this one query.

(2) We're talking about a performance regression due to a new release
picking a newly available plan which it wrongly estimates to be an
order of magnitude faster, when it's actually more than five times
slower.

-Kevin