plpgsql execute vs. SELECT ... INTO

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: plpgsql execute vs. SELECT ... INTO
Date: 2010-11-05 22:49:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(Prompted by a puzzled user on IRC)

Ten years ago, nearly, we made this commit
<https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/8a2cdd77ad5c0a4f8902ea86d0377336e076abcb>
(see what a good thing it is we carefully got all the history
transferred to git?)

The comment on the commit says:

EXECUTE of a SELECT ... INTO now draws a 'not implemented' error,
rather than executing the INTO clause with non-plpgsql semantics
as it was doing for the last few weeks/months. This keeps our options
open for making it do the right plpgsql-ish thing in future without
creating a backwards compatibility problem. There is no loss of
functionality since people can get the same behavior with CREATE TABLE AS.

Do we really still need to keep out options open on this after all that
time?

cheers

andrew