CPUs for new databases

From: Christian Elmerot <ce(at)one(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CPUs for new databases
Date: 2010-10-26 12:55:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

What is the general view of performance CPU's nowadays when it comes to
PostgreSQL performance? Which CPU is the better choice, in regards to
RAM access-times, stream speed, cache synchronization etc. Which is the
better CPU given the limitation of using AMD64 (x86-64)?

We're getting ready to replace our (now) aging db servers with some
brand new with higher core count. The old ones are 4-socket dual-core
Opteron 8218's with 48GB RAM. Right now the disk-subsystem is not the
limiting factor so we're aiming for higher core-count and as well as
faster and more RAM. We're also moving into the territory of version 9.0
with streaming replication to be able to offload at least a part of the
read-only queries to the slave database. The connection count on the
database usually lies in the region of ~2500 connections and the
database is small enough that it can be kept entirely in RAM (dump is
about 2,5GB).

Regards,
Christian Elmerot