Re: CPUs for new databases

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Christian Elmerot" <ce(at)one(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CPUs for new databases
Date: 2010-10-26 14:27:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christian Elmerot <ce(at)one(dot)com> wrote:

> What is the general view of performance CPU's nowadays when it
> comes to PostgreSQL performance? Which CPU is the better choice,
> in regards to RAM access-times, stream speed, cache
> synchronization etc. Which is the better CPU given the limitation
> of using AMD64 (x86-64)?

You might want to review recent posts by Greg Smith on this. One
such thread starts here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-09/msg00120.php

> We're getting ready to replace our (now) aging db servers with
> some brand new with higher core count. The old ones are 4-socket
> dual-core Opteron 8218's with 48GB RAM. Right now the disk-subsystem
> is not the limiting factor so we're aiming for higher core-count
> and as well as faster and more RAM. We're also moving into the
> territory of version 9.0 with streaming replication to be able to
> offload at least a part of the read-only queries to the slave
> database. The connection count on the database usually lies in the
> region of ~2500 connections and the database is small enough that
> it can be kept entirely in RAM (dump is about 2,5GB).

You really should try connection pooling. Even though many people
find it counterintuitive, it is likely to improve both throughput
and response time significantly. See any of the many previous
threads on the topic for reasons.

-Kevin