Re: Postgres 9.0 crash on win7

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Andrea Peri <aperi2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 9.0 crash on win7
Date: 2010-10-04 02:42:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 10/03/2010 05:11 PM, Andrea Peri wrote:
> Hi, thx for response.
>
> >Does that include PostGIS datatypes?
>
> yes, but after some email with the guys of Posgis team , I think the
> problem is related to postgres.
>
> (see this thread on postgis ML):
> http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2010-October/027841.html
>
> The postgis team was using a my script sql (about 10mbyte, 1Mb compress)
> that always crash a PG9 32bit on windows7 64 bit.

While it's consistently crashing my Pg 9 on win7 32-bit, too, I haven't
been able to get a backtrace yet. I thought it'd be trivial given the
ease of reproducing the crash - but the process that's crashing isn't
the backend running the query.

It looks like it's one of the helpers like the stats collector, autovac,
bgwriter, etc. I'm unsure which yet. I've had to go to work, so I won't
be able to pick it up again until much later today. When I get back I'll
turn the logging right up, set windbg up as the post-mortem debugger and
catch it that way.

I'm currently testing to see if I can reproduce the issue under linux as
well.

--
Craig Ringer