Git migration deadline for Buildfarm

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PGBuildFarm <pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Git migration deadline for Buildfarm
Date: 2010-09-27 12:13:07
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

In about a week I propose to have the buildfarm server start to reject
results based on snapshots where the newest file is older than the time
of the git migration a week ago. That means buildfarm owners need to
upgrade to using git. Many have already: see
<http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl>

The move to git has been a long advertised change, and the software
updates have been available for months. Just to be clear, here are the
steps involved in upgrading a buildfarm client:

* install git on your machine if it's not there already - latest
version is best, but most moderately modern versions should do.
* upgrade to the latest release of the buildfarm code (release 4.1)
See <http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000040>
* remove the repo copies in your buildroot ("rm -rf
/path/to/buildroot/*/pgsql")
* update the buildfarm.conf. At a minimum, remove the settings for
cvsmethod and cvsrepo and add setting "scm => 'git'". But you
probably want a local git mirror rather than a separate clone for
each branch. See
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Buildfarm_Howto> for
more details

That's not exactly hard, on most platforms.

If you think you deserve a dispensation, please ask me, but I really
don't want the buildfarm server polluted with new builds of frozen code.
That doesn't help anyone - it's just useless noise.

cheers

andrew