Re: Postgres Licensing

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Licensing
Date: 2010-09-20 06:58:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20/09/10 09:48, Vaibhav Kaushal wrote:
> 1. PostgreSQL can be distributed freely according to the license terms. Can
> it be sold (for a price) without changing anything in the source?

Yes.

You will have a hard time finding anyone to buy it, though, because you
can download it for free from the PostgreSQL website.

> 2. Does the license restrict me from adding my closed source additions to
> the project and then sell the product? I want to add in a few files here and
> there which would be closed source in nature, while all the changes made to
> the original files will be open, and then sell the modified database with a
> dual license. Is this possible?

In general, yes. I don't know what exactly you mean by the dual license,
but you are free to mix proprietary code with the PostgreSQL sources,
and sell or distribute for free the combined product with or without
sources. The only requirement of the PostgreSQL license is that all
copies must include the copyright notices and the license text.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer)

--
Heikki Linnakangas