Re: Using SKYLINE command on PostgreSQL

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: LaboRecherche <nomail(at)altranx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using SKYLINE command on PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-08-08 03:35:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 05/08/10 00:26, LaboRecherche wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just installed version 8.4 of PostGresql (on a Windows machine)
> in order to use SKYLINE command, but it seems that I get an error each
> time I try to use this command.
>
> Is there a specific plugin to install to add SKYLINE command ? Can you
> help me on this point to get this command working ?

All I can find with a quick Google search for "SKYLINE postgresql" is
references to someone's masters thesis, plus a bit of mailing list
discussion.

There's no indication it was ever proposed and discussed as a serious
patch to the core of PostgreSQL, let alone applied. Have a look at this
thead, including follow-ups.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00192.php

The masters thesis page does contain a patch against PostgreSQL 8.3:
http://skyline.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/
but this is something you have to apply to the source code, then compile
PostgreSQL into usable binaries. That's trivial on Linux, but I don't
recommend you try it on Windows, as compiling software on Windows is
much more complex.

They say they're porting the patch to 8.4devel, but I suspect that since
8.4 has been out for ages and 9.0 is almost released, they've probably
lost interest and dropped the work.

--
Craig Ringer