Re: ECPG dynamic cursor fix for UPDATE/DELETE ... WHERE CURRENT OF :curname

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Michael Meskes <michael(at)fam-meskes(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG dynamic cursor fix for UPDATE/DELETE ... WHERE CURRENT OF :curname
Date: 2010-08-05 14:41:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner írta:
> Michael Meskes <michael(at)fam-meskes(dot)de> wrote:
>
>> All prior ECPG versions were fine because dynamic cursor names
>> were only added in 9.0. Apparently only this one place was
>> missed. So this is a bug in the new feature, however not such a
>> major one that it warrants the complete removal IMO. I'd prefer to
>> fix this in 9.0.1.

As we are so late in the beta phase, we can live with that, hopefully
you will find time by then to review the patch which is actually not
that complex, only a bit large. The part of ECPGdo() that deals with
auto-preparing statements is moved closer to calling ecpg_execute(),
after the varargs are converted to stmt->inlist and ->outlist.

>> Hope this cleans it up a bit.
>>

> Thanks. I think I get it now.
>
> To restate from another angle, to confirm my understanding: UPDATE
> WHERE CURRENT OF is working for cursors with the name hard-coded in
> the embedded statement, which is the only way cursor names were
> allowed to be specified prior to 9.0; 9.0 implements dynamic cursor
> names, allowing you to use a variable for the cursor name; but this
> one use of a cursor name isn't allowing a variable yet. Do I have
> it right? (If so, I now see why it would be considered a bug.)

Yes, you understand it correctly.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi