Re: pgsql-announce approvals WAS: Beta4 release announcement

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-announce approvals WAS: Beta4 release announcement
Date: 2010-08-02 18:13:45
Lists: pgsql-www

> Wasn't part of the problem that the post to -www didn't show up?
> Did anyone answer the question of why announcements are sent to the
> list before they should go out?

Oh, that was a mistake; normally they don't. However, one of the things
we count on human list moderators for is to catch mistakes ... duplicate
postings, cross-postings, links that don't work in commercial
announcements, inappropriate content, etc.

I imagine that Greg simply assumed that if Selena was posting it, the
message must be ready to go out. And since her message to this list
*not* to post it didn't come though ...

It's kind of like a flight check: normally we have a procedure (when/how
to post to pgsql-announce, which could use some explication on the wiki,
as this has shown) and a safety mechanism (the human moderator of the
pgsql-announce). In this case both the procedure and the safety
mechanism failed, fortunately without horrible consequences.

So I'd like to improve both before an error does have horrible
consequences, such as a security release. Working on the procedure now.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.