Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date: 2010-06-22 18:02:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

If we *don't* rely on tcp-keepalive for terminating SR connections where
the master is dead, what is the alternative? That issue, IMHO, is a
blocker for 9.0.

If tcp-keepalives are the only idea we have, then we need to work around
the limitations and implement them.

I'll also point out that keepalives are already a supported feature for
production PostgreSQL on the server side, so I don't see that adding
them for libpq is a big deal. We might not want to enable them by
default, though.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.