Re: Upgrade procedure for 9.0 with HS/SR ... ?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade procedure for 9.0 with HS/SR ... ?
Date: 2010-06-21 18:27:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21/06/10 19:41, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> What is the recommended procedure for this?
>
> For instance, normally I would do a dump, upgrade, reload, when dealing
> with a single server, just to make sure all my system tables and such
> are clean ... but, if I have HS/SR setup to a slave, what is the
> recommended method of doing an upgrade?
>
> This will be of more concern later, I imagine, when we're dealing with a
> 9.0 -> 9.1 upgrade ...

Wal shipping doesn't work across major versions, and I wouldn't
recommend doing it across different minor versions either. So:

1. On master: dump, upgrade binaries, reload master,
2. On slave: Shutdown, upgrade binaries, take new base backup from
master and reinitialize slave from it.

On a new minor version, I'd imagine that you upgrade the binaries on
slave first, then master. The newer version can generally read WAL from
old version, but not necessarily vice versa. But check the release notes..

--
Heikki Linnakangas