Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>
Date: 2010-06-17 20:50:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/17/10 1:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Since there are no other votes for that option (or, indeed, any other
>>> option), I'm going to go with my original instinct and change hstore
>>> => text[] to hstore & text[]. Patch to do that is attached.
>> If what that operator is doing is appending an array of text to an
>> Hstore, shouldn't we use || instead?
>
> It isn't. || already does what you're saying.

So what *does* it do?

OK, so after a brief poll on IRC, one reason you're not getting coherent
feedback on this is that few people understand the operators which
hstore 9.0 already uses and which are new for 9.0, let alone what new
operators are proposed for each thing. I know I've completely lost
track, particularly since doc patches haven't kept up with the code
changes. I've reread most of this thread and it doesn't help me.

On the other hand, maybe less feedback is less bikeshedding. You decide.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.