Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-10 12:51:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Am 10.06.2010 13:46, schrieb Kevin Grittner:

> I have a feeling that many here don't understand how ubiquitous such
> frameworks are.

I got his impression, too. :-(

> Our programmers have no way to get a statement to
> the database from within the application *without* all identifiers
> being quoted.

Since I've be confused a bit by your statement, I'll try to express it
differently:

These frameworks simply qoute *all* identifiers, no matter if the
identifier is a keyword or not. This is done to take the burden of the
programmer to take care about identifiers. So it simply does not matter
when a keyword is added.

I wished, pg_dump could do the same and easy admins life :-\

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de