Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joel Henrique <joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation
Date: 2010-06-09 03:58:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 9/06/2010 11:06 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Joel Henrique<joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br> wrote:
>>
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference: 5475
>> Logged by: Joel Henrique
>> Email address: joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.4-1
>> Operating system: Windows 2003 Server
>> Details:
>>
>> When I try to install postgres it asks for a password.
>> It says that if the service already exists I should put the current
>> password, otherwise a service will be created with new password.
>>
>> I've neves installed postgres before. What kind of password is that? I can't
>> install postgres here.
>
> I feel like we've had this question a few times before, and answered
> it, but I'm not a Windows guy and can't remember the answer. Can we
> add an FAQ entry for this, or something?

Really, the installer on Windows needs to stash the password in an
admin-only-readable registry key, read it from there on install, and
test to make sure it works. If it does, Pg need not even bother the user
with the account password at all.

It'd be worth looking at how (eg) ASP.NET and IIS handle their account
passwords. They don't seem to have these issues.

Perhaps a FAQ entry would be a good idea in the mean time, though. Let
me see if I can put something together.

--
Craig Ringer