Re: Best starter book

From: Donn Washburn <n5xwb(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best starter book
Date: 2010-05-21 17:06:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 05/21/2010 11:22 AM, Andreas wrote:
> Am 21.05.2010 17:11, schrieb Donn Washburn:
>> I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4. What would be a good starter
>> book.
>> I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.
>
> As always ... it depends on what you need to know.
Basically the setup of Postgres - password, users and then likely.
I am a Linux compTIA Linux+ certified person and have never needed a
true DB.
So that is where I am looking

> The documentation of PG is really good.
> If you are allready a db guru then you should be happy with it.
>
> As you are asking this question in the novice forum you might as well
> never been working with an dbms at all.

This is basically true. I have had UNIX FilePro+ or Profile back in the
1980s.
I did build our business software using FilePro+
> Probaply you have some existing application that should store its data
> with PG as backend where you personally wouldn't need to know much
> besides of setting things up and making a backup now and then.
>
> Maybe you expect something like MS-Access that has a powerfull
> frontend or maybe you know what a rdbms is but want to learn SQL?
Yes likely closer to FilePro but I only use or have Linux. No MS
anything here.
I have setup MySQL and used phpMyAdmin. However, it does offer a
message tell you how to setup a password

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb(at)comcast(dot)net "