Re: List traffic

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List traffic
Date: 2010-05-13 19:06:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-chat pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> The difference between discussing a patch and discussing an idea that
>> might lead to a patch is fairly fine.
>>

> And importantly -- who would be able to subscribe to one and not the
> other? If you have to subscribe to both to get make any sense of
> things then there's no point.
>
> Fwiw I'm having trouble keeping up these days too. And I'm quite
> accustomed to very heavy traffic email. I've been throwing all
> postgres related lists into one folder and skimmed through it looking
> for important threads. However this has now broken down. There are
> about 45 new threads every day. I've been travelling for a bit and am
> now 1,500 threads behind...

I've only been actively reading the pg lists for a few months now, after
several previous attempts that failed mainly because the way I set it up
did not work nice, mainly because of the volume. I tried digests, didn't
like it (how to reply?), also didn't like that the pg mails that were so
many completely swamped the 'main' email I use.

Now I made a new gmail account, subscribed to all lists with some volume
and let it all message per message come into the inbox. Together with
thunderbird/imap this works quite nicely. With filters it's possible to
tag interesting messages (like does the To: contain my email? -> tag it
so it becomes green). Now I only need to view unread mails, (by thread
or date), read some messages and then ctrl-shift-c - all read.

My $0.02 - I like the whole 'don't sort, search' (or how did they call
it?) just let the inbox fill up, google is fast enough. What would be
really interesting is to have some extra 'tags/headers' added to the
emails (document classification with e.g. self organizing map/kohonen),
so my local filters could make labels based on that, instead of perhaps
badly spelled keywords in subjects or message body.

regards,
Yeb Havinga