Re: Performance and Clustering

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance and Clustering
Date: 2010-04-29 01:40:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Jaime Rodriguez wrote:
> hi,
> Today is my first day looking at PostgreSQL
> I am looking to migrate a MS SQL DB to PostgreSQL :) :)
> My customer requires that DBMS shall support 4000 simultaneous requests

thats a lot of connections and processes.
4000 concurrent queries will be generating a massive IO workload, what
sort of storage system are you planning on using?
4000 sockets from clients making simulatneous queries will generate a
massive network workload. what sort of networks are you using?

> Also the system to be deploy maybe a cluster, with 12 microprocessors

a single server with 12 CPU cores, no problem.

12 separate servers, you're going to have to resolve some very sticky
issues with transactional integrity of updates and conflict resolution.