Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?
Date: 2010-04-29 01:20:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Piotr Kublicki wrote:
> We're thinking about installing Postgres on a virtual machine (RedHat 5
> 64-bits), however not sure how many CPUs can be wisely assigned, without
> wasting of resources.

The database will use as many cores as you have available, so long as
you have multiple simultaneous queries to keep each of them busy--no
single query will use more than one core. In practice, on a VM install
you may discover you're limited by either I/O rate or VM overhead long
before you reach the scalability limits of the database though.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us