Re: more 10K disks or less 15K disks

From: Evan Rempel <erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: more 10K disks or less 15K disks
Date: 2010-04-28 20:21:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Our experience shows that the 2.5 inch 10K disks have about the same
I/O rate as the 3.5 inch 15K disks. Ideal would be 15K 2.5 inch.

To answer you bigger question, it depends on how many threads are
running to perform the inserts. If you have lots (2-3 times as many threads
as disks) then your I/O will spread out over all of your disks, and you
can make use of all drives simultaneously.
If you have fewer threads than you have disks, then latency will be your limiting
factor, so the faster speed drives will be your best bet.

For a single thread, on 10K disks with only small write cache (256M) you will
probably only see approx 1500 random I/O per second. Bear in mind that a single database
transaction in postgres will use some number of threads, but require more than 1 I/O for
each transaction. You can probably tune it to achieve no more than 2,000 inserts per second
as a sustained rate.

If you have very few threads (5-10) then you will probably require some
fancier storage, such as solid state disk or at the very least very large (4-16GB)
write cache systems.

Evan.