Re: more 10K disks or less 15K disks

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more 10K disks or less 15K disks
Date: 2010-04-28 20:29:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Supposing a 50% performance increase disk-by-disk with 15.000rpm vs
10.000rpm you would get better performance (100%) by doubling number of
disks versus using 15K rpm disk (50%).
However, you have to check other parameters, for example, if your RAID
controller can deal with such a high bandwidth or the disk cache size.
Do you have benchmarks about these hard disk models ?

How about using SSD? ;-)