Re: BUG #5424: Not able to Install

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Aditya Vats <aditya(dot)vats(at)cerner(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5424: Not able to Install
Date: 2010-04-16 00:33:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 15/04/2010 10:14 PM, Aditya Vats wrote:

> Bug reference: 5424
> Logged by: Aditya Vats
> Email address: aditya(dot)vats(at)cerner(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.2-1
> Operating system: Windows Vista
> Details:
>
> While installing I am getting an error saying :
>
> The password specified was incorrect.Please enter the correct password for
> the postgress windows user account.

If you installed PostgreSQL before, you set a password then. You need to
enter that password. If you only have 8.4 installed, ie you don't have
any other PostgreSQL versions installed, then it's safe to reset the
password for the postgres user account.

It's also possible that due to a recently-discovered installer bug, if
you mis-typed the password the first time it stored it anyway and *then*
told you the passwords didn't match, in which case you'll probably have
to reset the password.

Unfortunately the PostgreSQL installer doesn't offer you any way to
reset the password from within the installer.

You can reset it using the standard windows tools. You should be able to
find Computer Management in the Start menu, under All Programs ->
Administrative Tools. If not, open up the Control Panel, switch it to
classic view, open Administrative Tools, then Computer Management.

Within Computer Management open up Local Users and Groups, then "Users".
You'll see the postgres account there and can reset its password if
required.

--
Craig Ringer