Re: strange

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange
Date: 2010-03-22 16:14:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
>> I've got a simple query. When I use explain analyze it lasts 7 times slower.
>> Why?
>>

> You've got a machine where gettimeofday() is really slow. This is
> common on cheap PC hardware :-(

I'd be curious to know more about the hardware and operating system
Szymon is using if you suspect this is the case. I keep hearing about
systems where this is slow, but despite claims that they're common I've
never actually seen one.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us