Re: strange

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange
Date: 2010-03-22 16:36:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> You've got a machine where gettimeofday() is really slow. This is
>> common on cheap PC hardware :-(

> I'd be curious to know more about the hardware and operating system
> Szymon is using if you suspect this is the case. I keep hearing about
> systems where this is slow, but despite claims that they're common I've
> never actually seen one.

Well, they're not as common as they used to be. My understanding is
that there are two independent issues:

* If you have to call into the kernel to read the RTC, you're already
hurting. Modern Unixen avoid this, but I think I've read that it's
generally only fixed on x86_64 hardware not i386.

* The original specs for reading the RTC on PC hardware did not foresee
the desire of being able to read it out in a small fraction of a
microsecond. I don't know the details on this exactly, but some
googling turned up this: