Re: Many-to-many problem

From: Grant Allen <gxallen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: 'PostgreSQL' <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Many-to-many problem
Date: 2010-03-18 23:18:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Raymond,

From a strictly relational viewpoint, this is as easy as

(select users.uid, apps.appcode from apps, users)
except
(select canaccess.uid, canaccess.appcode from canaccess)

In english, that's the cartesian product of all users' uid and apps appcode minus the known set of user+app allowed use. Of course, for any non-trivial dataset, most of us would baulk at using a cartesian product because the performance would probably be a killer or at least need careful thought.

It might suit you ... otherwise you'll need to go for the correlated subquery approach using not exists.

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)