Re: double and numeric conversion

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: double and numeric conversion
Date: 2010-03-03 10:57:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2010/3/3 Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>
>> Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't look deeply at the postgres internals to see if there was a way
>>> to do double -> numeric and integer-types -> numeric without intermediary
>>> string format. If that sort of thing is easy to leverage, I'd be happy to
>>> share the code.
>>>

>> I think your code could be valuable for postgres on the fact alone that it
>> is almost twice as fast, and probably easy to integrate and unit test. We
>> make heavy use of the numeric data type, so I'm very interested!
>>

> I did some test and numeric->double is about 5% faster than
> numeric->string->double (on my PC)

numeric_to_double_no_overflow() also uses string as intermediate format.

Theo's conversions are the converse, from double to numeric, and do not
use string as intermediate format (if I understand it correct). (where
float8_numeric
http://doxygen.postgresql.org/backend_2utils_2adt_2numeric_8c.html#2de7f65c8de4b65dad441e77ea1bf402
does)

regards