Re: BUG #5118: start-status-insert-fatal

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gerhard Leykam" <gel123(at)sealsystems(dot)de>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5118: start-status-insert-fatal
Date: 2010-02-22 18:25:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I think you should just edit the TODO wiki and list all the things
> we agree need fixing

Will do. It may take me a while to chase down all the issues from
the LSB script work.

If I recall correctly, some of what I was looking at seems necessary
for a well-behaved LSB conforming script, and there was support for
the ideas from some quarters, but it fell short of what I'd consider
a consensus (for example, escalating the stop request level over
time). Do we want to get into a discussion of such issues at this
point, add them to the list with a note that discussion is needed
before undertaking them, or should I keep them just in my own list?

A couple comments which I think were the last on the escalation of
stop mode:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg01145.php

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg01158.php

Before continuing that discussion, I think we need to decide if *now
is the time* to continue that discussion (and other related ones);
and I would argue such discussion should wait. These links are just
provided to help answer the question of what I should do with such
disputed issues when I update the TODO list. I don't want to slip
something in without consensus, but I don't want the issue to be
lost, or missed by anyone who takes on pg_ctl work.

-Kevin