Re: How to manage WAL

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Albert Shih" <Albert(dot)Shih(at)obspm(dot)fr>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to manage WAL
Date: 2010-02-11 23:00:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Albert Shih <Albert(dot)Shih(at)obspm(dot)fr> wrote:

> I would like to known what's best way to manage the WAL.

You should design a policy which meets your particular needs. We
keep two PITR base backups and all the WAL files from before the
start of the first (based on the information in the backup file)
through current. We also save monthly archival PITR base backups
with just the WAL files needed to restore them (again, based on the
backup files). Your needs may be different.

-Kevin